The Columbia Basin Environmental Education Network (CBEEN) encourages environmental stewardship and sustainability by supporting environmental educators.
CBEEN is the regional network for environmental education in the Columbia Basin. Operating in the unceded traditional territories of the Ktunaxa, Lheidli T’enneh, Secwepemec, Sinixt and Syilx Nations, the Columbia Basin is located in southeast British Columbia and is the region consisting of all watersheds that flow into the Columbia River in Canada.
What is Environmental Education?
We, at CBEEN, believe that environmental education produces ecologically literate citizens who understand and value healthy environments.
According to the BC Ministry of Education, environmental education helps students learn how they are connected to the natural environment through traditional subjects and through direct experience, in the outdoors and in the classroom.
“Planting a seed for healthier and happier lives by choosing CBEEN as the recipient of an endowment gift has been a wonderful thing to be able to do. We love watching kids thrive in this beautiful valley. Supporting such an important cause – kids and the great outdoors – gave us a way of defining our place in the grand scheme of things.”
-Founding donors Blair Robinson and Donna Deschenes
CBEEN supports all outdoor learning with Canada’s Outdoor Learning Store. Canada’s Outdoor Learning Store provides access to outdoor learning equipment and resources to schools and organizations across Canada.
Outdoor learning enhances student learning through experiences outside the classroom.
“I am very excited to have access to outdoor educational resources which also incorporates local Indigenous content. I cannot wait to use the resources with my students and my own children!”
-Teacher, Rocky Mountain School District #6
CBEEN understands that environmental education is a long-term investment in the general health and well-being of individuals, communities, eco-systems and the planet.
Our vision is that people in the Canadian Columbia Basin respect the natural environment and engage in sustainable activities. Your donation will help us fulfill our vision through attaining our goals. These goals include:
- Maintaining a vibrant and engaged network of educators in the Canadian Columbia Basin, and provide this network with excellent environmental education professional development resources and opportunities.
- Facilitating collaboration amongst members, partner organizations and Columbia Basin communities to effectively achieve our shared mandate and vision.
- Undertaking a process to better role-model and support diversity, equity and inclusion in the field of environmental education.
- Expand network to increase engagement with and support for early-years educators.
- Maintain a sustainable organization which has effective and ethical governance in accordance with its non-profit and charitable status.